Foreign Judgments — Judgements from Other States

(Note: judgement and judgment are both correct spellings. In the law, it is spelled judgment)


Do not be concerned if your judgment is from another state . . . it can be enforced here.

A foreign judgment has to be domesticated in Texas.  Once domesticated, it becomes a judgment of Texas with all the powers of any other Texas judgment.   You bring an action under the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act (“UEFJA”).  When a properly authenticated foreign judgment is filed with the clerk of any Texas court with jurisdiction, the court issues notice to the Defendant and then it becomes a judgment of Texas with all the procedures, defenses, proceedings, enforcing, or satisfying a judgment as a judgment of the court in which it is filed.

The Jackson Law Group
Dallas, Texas Debt Collection Attorneys
Tel: 214-369-7100; Fax: 888-765-7503